Honolulu Museum of Art
The Honolulu Museum of Art (formerly Honolulu Academy of Arts) was founded in 1927 by Ana Rice Cooke. Since it opened, the museum has grown steadily, both in acquisitions and in stature, to become one of the finest museums in the United States.
Additions to the original building include a library (1956), an education wing (1960), a gift shop (1965), a cafe (1969), a contemporary gallery, administrative offices and 280-seat theater (1977), and an art center for studio classes and expanded educational programming (1989).
The museum’s permanent collection has grown from 500 works to more than 50,000 pieces spanning 5,000 years, with significant holdings in Asian art, American and European painting and decorative arts, 19th- and 20th-century art, an extensive collection of works on paper, Asian textiles, and traditional works from Africa, Oceania, and the Americas.
From Anna Rice Cooke’s vision has grown one of the most beautiful and extraordinary museums in the world with state-of-the-art facilities for displaying its internationally renowned art collection. It is the state’s leading arts institution and the city’s center for visual and performing arts.
The Museum's mission continues to reflect Mrs. Cooke’s vision by being dedicated to the collection, preservation, interpretation, and teaching of the visual arts, and the presentation of exhibitions, performing arts, and public programs specifically relevant to Hawaii’s ethnically diverse community.
Doris Duke Theatre
The Honolulu Museum of Art has had a film program since the 1930s, when it showed classic films in Central Courtyard. Screenings moved to what is now the Doris Duke Theatre in 1977.
The 280-seat Doris Duke Theatre at the Honolulu Museum of Art offers enhanced Dolby sound systems, Harkness Hall projection screen, Meyers Concert Sound System for musical performances, an elevated stage, air conditioning, and complete audio and video facilities.
The Doris Duke Theatre screens independent, documentary, and international film and video, and a popular series of lectures, performances and concerts by world-famous visiting artists and the finest local performers. The theater entrance is located at the rear of the museum on Kinau Street.
The theater was named in honor of Doris Duke, who was a generous philanthropist and supporter of Islamic art and culture, jazz and other music and performing arts. Anna Rice Cooke, Claire Booth Luce, and Doris Duke are connected by their contributions to the arts that continue to benefit the people of Hawai‘i. Anna Rice Cooke founded of the Honolulu Museum of Art; Claire Boothe Luce endowed the building that contains the museum’s theater; and the Doris Duke Foundation provided funds for the modernization and re-dedication of the theater in 2000.
For weekday matinees, theater patrons may park in the lot behind the Honolulu Museum of Art School (entrance on makai side of Beretania) for $5 for up to five hours and $2 for each additional 30 minutes or fraction thereof.
For evening screenings, you can park free at the museum's lot at 1035 Kinau St., Diamond Head of Victoria Street.
Handicapped parking is available in the small Luce Pavilion lot on Victoria Street. Patrons using handicapped stalls should proceed to the main entrance on Kinau Street.